Games Store Forums Support Partners Home

Finished the game; my thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Super Furious Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Finished the game; my thoughts Reply with quote

First off, thanks for making such a great game! It was definitely worth what I paid for it. After 93 weeks of hard-fought battles (except for missions against Aniwer and anything with a Jumpstar; they're far too annoying to fight) my convict finally earned his freedom. I have to say, though, I would have enjoyed the game more if the later unlockable ships were better. I used the Gunpowder for the vast majority of missions after I unlocked it, because its speed made it incredibly easy to dodge seeker orbs and beams and it had great firepower. While the Palteron was billed as a capital ship buster, it didn't seem too great in that role; it just didn't have the speed to keep up with some of them and I'm not even sure what the disruptor missile does against them, since I never noticed any guns being disabled by it other than my own. The Red Blade's beams were cool but they just didn't kill things fast enough, plus not needing to lead your shots made it harder (for me at least) to make strafing runs. The mines were also pretty useless, since in any mission where there are fighters to use them against, they're dead within the first minute. The Metke-Wrar was cool, but once it ran out of missiles it again just lacked the punch to kill things quickly. Other than the slight disappointment every time I unlocked one of the last three ships and the feeling that every single seeker orb was targeting me, even the ones fired by enemies far in the distance, I really enjoyed it, especially trying to find blind spots on the super-ships where I could hide from their guns and slowly blast them to pieces.
Reactor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, certainly glad to hear you enjoyed the game! Thanks for the feedback on the other ships. Generally speaking everyone has their favourites, which suit the differing playing styles people have. However, I certainly understand where you're coming from.

Congratulations are also in order for 93 weeks... that's a solid effort Smile
Naar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me what the Palteron's disruptor missile does (if anything) against capital ships? Does it only work against fighters?

Also, is the Cyverene Hayder actually in the game? I don't think I ever flew against one of them.
hh10k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naar wrote:
Can you tell me what the Palteron's disruptor missile does (if anything) against capital ships? Does it only work against fighters?

The Palteron's disruptor missile will disable any weapons in the blast field. For small fighters this is (almost always) all the weapons, but you can usually disable about hald the weapons on large ships. It's very useful against beam weapons Smile

Naar wrote:
Also, is the Cyverene Hayder actually in the game? I don't think I ever flew against one of them.

It should be in there... I'll take a look to make sure we didn't slip up...
hh10k
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems there is a bug that prevents you from fighting the Hayder. There's a few other things that we were planning on patching, so you can expect it to be fixed soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I decided to write a FAQ for the game which is mostly complete except for the unique ships, so I'm replaying to refresh my memory on those. Looking forward to the patch!
Reactor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great! Sorry the patch is taking so long... just blame me Smile
Bananadine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

Naar's experience is quite similar to mine, except in that I definitely fought a number of Hayders (and I probably didn't manage my win in 93 weeks!). As for overpowered ships: The Aniwer Rewian is still far too strong; it could use, perhaps, a reduction in armor to balance its unusually powerful engines and weapons. The Jumpstar is also too strong, though I'm not sure why exactly. The Ener seems to be strangely difficult for my AI squadmates to fight, and I think it has too much armor as well. I never, ever won a battle against any Jumpstar, any Rewian, or more than half a dozen Ener.

Underpowered ships: The Kaderon, the Gor, the Unnamed Vessel, and especially the Triton are too easy to defeat, due to their inability to effectively attack ships that hide within the spaces left open by their hulls. My preference would be for the Kaderon and Unnamed Vessel to have more guns in the weak points, and for the other two ships, especially the Triton, to simply be more maneuverable. To hide safely within the Triton as it bucked and lunged around would be a fun, optional minigame of sorts (as opposed to the tedious chore it is now).

Unbalanced player ships: I agree that the Palteron, despite your comments, seems mostly useless. I really tried to make it work, but I never did figure out how to use its disruptor missile effectively. That really frustrated me. If it really does work as you claim, then maybe the game should give some visual feedback to indicate that: The disrupted weapons could light up in some way when the missile's blast touches them. That would really help. The Red Blade worked very well for me against small ships, though its mines seemed completely useless. The Metka-Wrar was a disappointment for me--it just didn't have enough missiles to feel very different from, say, the Persuader.

The thing that bothered me most about the game is the ease with which the United Earth's barely-trained bunch of one hundred convicts is able to take out gigantic ships that supposedly have destroyed 10,000 planets or whatever. It would be nice for somebody to at least acknowledge the impossibility of your achievements via e-mail. Also the ending seemed far too abrupt; I would like to see more of a surprise at the end. For instance, the Pyrenees could actually enter battle or something. (But then for all I know, maybe that happens if you play differently than I did!)

Regardless, I'm only commenting because I like your game. Though it's a bit messy around the edges, it does its core work very well, and I had lots of fun with it. Thanks!
Reactor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! Although it's somewhat late to go in and make large changes to Cellsquads, I do agree with a number of the suggestions you've made, and they're much appreciated.

Cellsquads is a little rough around the edges, but we're fairly happy with it, considering there are only two of us that worked on it (not including the muso), and explains somewhat why there's a real 'indieness' about it. Also, because we didn't have a huge amount of time or resources, it's not a big surprise that the game might be a tad unbalanced in areas. With that in mind though, just about everyone who's commented has asked for a different area to be adjusted, which goes to show that people have experienced the weaknesses/strengths in gameplay quite differently.

Once again, thanks for your comments. We take everything on board... and I'm glad to hear you've had some fun Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Super Furious Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: