Games Store Forums Support Partners Home

demo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Super Furious Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Doe

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: demo Reply with quote

Hi, I just saw the demo out on filefront. I've only played the game a few times but it's impressive for an indie developer. great lighting effects, reminded me of Freespace 2 with Nexus style gfx.

I was just wondering does anyone else have difficulty targeting? the lock keeps jumping from ship to ship so it's hard to keep track. and ships can accelerate so fast, turn on a dime and your primary weapon travels so slow that even if you fire directly over the icon you can still miss. any suggestions?

people mentioned its repetitiveness and I could see how this could get old if trying to pay that $500,000,000 debt. ever consider doing turret missions? you control a single turret on a capital ship that's under attack. being able to use those tracer beams would be fun.

also you rejected being able to upgrade weapons because "it'd just make it like every other arcade space sim". well I hate to tell you but this game really needs more features. arcade games are already at the shallow end of gameplay, and you're aiming for less features?
Reactor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
...and ships can accelerate so fast, turn on a dime and your primary weapon travels so slow that even if you fire directly over the icon you can still miss. any suggestions?

The demo jumps in difficulty quite rapidly. In the full game you actually get up to speed by the time you have to take on twenty fighters, and like most games, the more you play, the better you become at dealing with things like changing target locks. Also, the advanced fighters from the full game make it a lot easier to hit the smaller fighters.

Quote:
being able to use those tracer beams would be fun.

For that, you can use the advanced pirate fighter. Anyhow, the guy who mentioned the repetitiveness of the game did so before the 2.0 patch, when we didn't have the advanced fighters, or the full top pilot challenge. I mean, sure... the game could seem repetitive. That's the kind of game it is- basic action. But, once you get into the emails and tactics, you'll find there's quite a bit in there to enjoy. I've played a lot of AAA titles with hundreds of features (turret targeting included) and been bored out of my brain. With Cellsquads we wanted the gameplay to be the thing that kept people interested.

Quote:
also you rejected being able to upgrade weapons because "it'd just make it like every other arcade space sim".

I've played a lot of space sims, and I don't know about you, but having the option to choose between three missile types (which all look the same) is quite a boring feature. And, that's the main reason I didn't want Cellblock to be like other space sims. It's been done 40 million times already. It was time someone did something different. You may have noticed, but even though Cellblock is nothing at all like Freespace, that's all it gets compared to. It's not meant to be like Freespace, but a lot of people are having a hard time seeing it for what it is. Instead, they're asking the question, "Why isn't this more like Freespace?"

Quote:
arcade games are already at the shallow end of gameplay, and you're aiming for less features?

I disagree. Arcade games are at the shallow end of features, not gameplay. And, as you can see, Cellblock is designed to be more of an arcade game than anything else. It's a 'pick up and play' style game... with what we felt was great, no-fuss gameplay. We actually have more features than most AAA games (if features is what you're after) but the difference is, they're in different places than what you'd normally expect.

I've been accused before as someone who makes excuses for the game, as opposed to giving people exactly what they want. But, that's what being indie is all about. It's about trying new things and hopefully intoducing new games to the gamer. Perhaps we didn't succeed as we would have hoped... but at least we did something different. After all, if we didn't do it, what other company out there would even try? We believe no other company will make a clone of Cellblock, and that in itself is quite a thing in todays gaming world. I hope you can see where I'm coming from, and can enjoy the game for what it is Smile
Deadmoon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Theres been a long time since i post here. Im glad that many of the subjects we were discussing months ago are included now in the game...now im sure ill purchase it.

I have a little suggestion though....it will be great it some "lock target" feature it could be included. In large battles is quite easy to lost sight on the vessel you are attacking and sice all ships of the same type are visually equal and their name is the same its a same you cannot lock the target you are pursuing to give him the fate it deserves. It will be a really simple add-on.
Reactor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True... we'll have to add that one in, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Small Idea... Make weapons increase power by about 2% or somthing, per mission and make them get bigger onscreen corspondingly, it would give another feel of progress to the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Super Furious Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: